Staying focused at work during the holiday season can be extremely challenging. There is so much distracting you from your duties, including parties and family reunions, shopping, planning, traveling, children home from school, and more.
International business speaker Michael Kerr explained, “There are so many competing demands and expectations during the holidays that it is very easy to get overwhelmed and even burnt out.”
“Travel planning, guest preparations, gift shopping, children’s events, parties and so on must be crammed into already-full schedules, which causes stress,” added Casey Moore, The Productivity Coach. “Personal stress often affects work performance. It distracts people and diminishes productivity.” People also lose motivation, she said. “They’re more interested in their personal lives, whether from their stress, their to-dos, or their love of the holidays.”
It is also hard to remain motivated when co-workers and managers are away on vacation. Workflow slows down significantly, and keeping up a high level of productivity is difficult.
Here are 14 ways to stay focused at work during this year’s holiday season, according to Forbes:
- Take a few days off.
- Plan early and communicate your expectations and schedule.
- Create your to-do list and prioritize tasks.
- Avoid multitasking.
- Start working on year-end projects and personal tasks early.
- Don’t take your work home.
- Get into the spirit.
- Watch out for distractions.
- Take care of yourself physically.
- Don’t over-commit.
- Remind yourself to stay focused at work.
- Do a self-evaluation.
- Look forward to next year.
- Remember what the holidays are all about.