You don’t have to spend lavishly to enjoy a great summer vacation. One of the best ways to take it outdoors, while still enjoying some money in your pocketbook, is with camping. When you camp, you can spend days outdoors, cooking on a small burner, hiking through nature and enjoying time together without spending a fortune.
Of course, there are start-up costs to camping, as there are to any activity. Once those are taken care of, the rest is just a matter of planning and enjoying. The start-up costs for camping include: tents, sleeping bags, air mattresses (if you want them), cooking burners, a few skillets and other cook supplies. Once you have these items, you’ll be ready for the great outdoors.
Here is a quick list of some of the best beaches and camping locations around America. Certainly, there are many, many more recommendations like these.
1. Kalalau Beach, Na Poli Coast, HI
(808) 274-3444; hawaii.gov/dlnr/dsp/index
3. Vasquez Peak Wilderness, CO
(970) 887-3331; fs.fed.us/r2/arnf
4. Brown Dog Campsite, Pine Mountain Ridge, GA
(706) 663-4858; pinemountaintrail.org
5. Sunol Regional Wilderness, CA
(510) 636-1684; ebparks.org
6. Little Bald Knob, Wild Oak Trail, VA
(540) 432-0187; fs.fed.us/r8/gwj/dryriver
7. San Gorgonio Mountain, CA
(909) 382-2881; sgwa.org
8. Grassy Ridge Bald, Roan Highlands, TN
(423) 772-0190; fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee